Offseason Notes for November 29th
RankRankRank

Total Posts: 63

Joined 2017-07-19

The Baltimore Orioles wanna Schoop.
Table of ContentsHeres the table of contents for todays edition of Offseason Notes.
1. A sorted Headlines2. Prospecting: John Sickels Top-20 List for Baltimore3. Crowdsourcing Broadcasters: Atlanta Television
A sorted HeadlinesTwins Signs SevenMatt Eddys newest Minor League Transaction report for Baseball America Cecil Shorts III Jersey reveals that Minnesota continues to be quite active of late in signing minor leaguers. Almost all the signings have purpose and upside: outfielder Wilkin Ramirez has already established contact i sues but has both speed and memory, is only 26, and may likely play an average center field; former Cincinnati prospect, right-hander Daryl Thompson, can also be just 26 and has a history of succe s; former Rocky Sam Deduno has had i sues with control, but has additionally posted ground-ball rates within the high-50s throughout his minor-league career.
Mariners Re-Sign RodriguezThat same report from Eddy notes that Seattle has re-signed infielder Luis Rodriguez. Rodriguez line of .197/.299/.333 (.219 BABIP), Zach Miller Jersey  76 wRC+, is decidedly unimpre sive, but, as of our last consider the Venezuelan Winter League, he’d an appropriate lead atop the SCOUT batting leaderboard and, more generally, hes shown good charge of the strike zone with enough power to deter pitchers from just grooving it.
Toronto Acquires Valbuena from ClevelandThe Indians traded infielder Luis Valbuena to the Blue Jays in return for cash considerations, MLB.coms Gregor Chisolm reports or, I should say, reported three days ago. In any case, we havent mentioned it during these pages except on Mondays edition of the podcast and Valbuena is definitely an interesting case, with the ability to play all over the infield (although stretched at short, probably) along with a decent minor-league bat (an MLE of .257/.319/.398, .316 wOBA, this year per OLIVER). The problem has been hitting at the major-league level, where Valbuena owns a line of .226/.286/.344 (.272 BABIP), 66 wRC+, in 806 plate appearances. (Note: our man David Goleblahblahblah has some thoughts on Valbuenas fantasy value this morning at RotoGraphs.)
Prospecting: John Sickels on BaltimoreJohn Sickels has published his preliminary top-20 list for that Baltimore Orioles.
Here are some notes on same:
Sickels first two picks for that Os shortstop Manny Machado and 2011s fourth-overall draft pick, right-hander Dylan Bundy likely wont surprise readers. The third name on Sickels list, though, may be le s familiar: 20-year-old infielder Jonathan Schoop. Schoop hit 13 home runs in 567 plate appearances between your (Low-A) Sally and (High James Sample Jersey -A) Carolina Leagues this, while posting only a 13.4% strikeout rate. The internet suggests that he’s the skill to experience short, however that maybe his body will move him off the position.
If Sickels has anything just like a sleeper prospect for Baltimore, its probably outfielder Glynn Davis. Of Davis, Sickels writes:
Bold ranking for me, but there is something about this guy I like. Local undrafted talent signed for $100,000. Blazing speed, somewhat raw at the plate but will already take some walks, and 6-3, 170 body offers power projection. NY-P sources were very impre sed.
Davis, who turns 20 on December 7th, hit .271/.337/.337 (.337 BABIP), 100 wRC+, in 286 plate appearances at short-season Aberdeen, while also going 23-for-32 on stolen-base attempts.
First baseman Joe Mahoney, whom I featured for last years Second Opinion, is 19th on Sickels list. Mahoney hit decently (.289/.344/.502, .349 BABIP, 128 wRC+) in 355 plate appearances at Double-A Bowie, but he was 24 and the strikeout rate actually increased by 5.0 percentage points.
Crowdsourcing Broadcasters: Atlanta TelevisionThis offseason, FanGraphs is asking readers to rate the Akeem Davis Jersey broadcast teams for those 30 major-league clubs. (Click here for more on this project.)
Image courtesy Joey Gardner, Minor League Baseball